International Cooperation Desk
The International Affairs Desk (IAD), as an ad-hoc office, was established pursuant to Department Order No. 2005-20 dated 30 June 2005and was amended by Department Order No. 2007-18 last 29 March 2007. As provided therein, the IAD shall be the clearing house and repository of all documents relative to matters and activities involving DOTC participation in international organizations and shall act as a monitoring body on the implementation of international trade agreements. IAD was envisioned to pave the way in mainstreaming the international affairs work in the Department of Transportation and Communications.
However, with the demands of the international activities as well as the international commitments that the Philippines have entered into through bilateral, multilateral and regional agreements, the duties and responsibilities of the said Desk became broader. In order to address this concern, Department Order No. 2008-10 was issued last 22 February 2008 creating the International Cooperation Office (ICO) and was later converted into International Cooperation Desk (ICD) pursuant to Department Order No. 2011-08 issued last 06 January 2011.
- Oversees all activities related to the fulfilment of the Department’s commitments and arrangements to international organizations such as ASEAN, APEC, BIMP-EAGA, UNESCAP, IMO, WTO/GATS, among others;
- Facilitates, in consultation with concerned agencies, the ratification and operationalization of agreements, protocols, conventions, MOUs and other commitments that are signed by the Philippines and monitors the implementation of the same;
- Ensures the representation of the Department to inter-agency technical committees pertaining to trade as well as to transport negotiations;
- Provides/Consolidates comments on the proposed talking points of the President during his State Visits as well as during the State Visits of Leaders to the Philippines;
- Participates in international meetings, negotiationsand other activities of the above international organizations;
- Determines the level of Philippine Delegation to international meetings and consults with the concerned officials on the attendees to said meetings;
- Initiates pre-departure meetings/briefings among the members of the Philippine Delegation to international meetings in order to come up with Philippine positions on matters pertaining to transport sector;
- Conducts exit meetings to discuss follow-through actions for monitoring/updating purposes;
- Submits status reports/position of the Philippine Government in connection with the issues brought about/raised during the meetings in coordination with the sectoral and attached agencies;
- Provides technical and administrative support and assistance to Philippine representation on transport forum.
- Acts as Secretariat for the Technical Working Group of the National Transit Transport Coordinating Committee (NTTCC-TWG) as well as to the Competent National Body (NTTCC-CNB) pursuant to Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) among concerned agencies that was signed last 17 June 2011;
- Performs staff functions and represents the Department together with concerned agencies in domestic/international conferences/meetings, as necessary, relative to transportation concerns to effectively participate and monitor the implementation of agreement and mobilize people to perform its functions.
News and Updates
Direct Line : (02)725-9165
Trunkline locals : (02)727-7960 locals: 200 / 312